13 May 2014

Third Time's a Charm?: Brewing Beer for the Third Time

Last night, I brewed beer for the third time (first time | second time). One thing I made sure was different from the first two batches was the amount of malt I put in.  Whereas I put in in 14 pounds of extra pale malt extract in the first two batches (and they came out too malty for my tastes (both in the first batch and in the second), I only put in 8 pounds this time - a huge difference!

One thing that stayed the same from the last batch was the yeast I put in - I used White Labs Abbey Ale Yeast (WLP530).

As for the hops schedule, here it is:
90minutes until the end of boiling - 1.5oz Summit (17.3% AAU)
75minutes until the end of boiling - 1.5oz El Dorado (15.7% AAU)
60minutes until the end of boiling - 1.5oz Amarillo (9.2% AAU)
45minutes until the end of boiling - 1oz Centennial (8.8% AAU)
30minutes until the end of boiling - 1oz Centennial (8.8% AAU)
End of boiling - .5oz Summit (17.3% AAU), .5oz El Dorado (15.7% AAU), .5oz Amarillo (9.2% AAU)
Now hoping for the best with this third batch....

No comments: