19 January 2014

Brewing for the First Time

Stirring the wort
Last night, I brewed beer for the first time in my life!  I had been initially thinking about getting a beginner's set in August/September in time for my birthday, but then decided that, with a new kid on the way, I might not have time.  Then, when Hanukah came around, I thought about doing it, but then backed off for the same reason.  Well, I finally decided that I would really enjoy brewing beer on my own that I could mold to my own desires, which would be great.  And, with three kids, I'm going to be busy anyways.

So, last night, with the help of my brother-in-law, I brewed my first batch of beer - which I'm hoping will turn out to be a nice double IPA, and here is what I put in it:
Adding in hops
- boiled 14lbs of extra pale malt extract (from Stein Fillers), then added in hops:
    - at 90 minutes until the end of the boil, 2oz of Columbus hops (16.3% AA)
    - at 75 minutes until the end of the boil, 2oz of Simcoe hops (12.1% AA)
    - at 60 minutes until the end of the boil, 2oz of Chinook hops (11.4% AA)
    - at 45 minutes until the end of the boil, 1oz of Crystal hops (4.1% AA)
    - at 30 minutes until the end of the boil, 1oz of Simcocoe hops (12.1% AA)
    - at 15 minutes until the end of the boil, .5oz of Crystal hops (4.1% AA)
    - at the end of the boil, .5oz of Crystal hops (4.1% AA)

Unfortunately, I had used up all of my hops, so I wasn't able to add in any further hops to dry-hop it at this point when I put in the yeast (California Ale Yeast from White Labs) in the fermenting bucket, but, perhaps in a week or so, I will add some hops to dry-hop it then.  Hopefully, with my first time brewing beer, it will not be unsuccessful....

No comments: