19 February 2014

Brewing Beer for the Second Time

Last night, I brewed beer for the second time in my life (first time was a month ago) and am going for a similar-ish, yet different brew.  While last
time, I was going for a double IPA (and ended up with a nicely-hopped, although quite malty, one at that), this time, I was going for a modified double IPA - well, essentially a Belgian-style double IPA.  For the malt, I put in the exact same amount as last time: 14 pounds of extra pale malt extract, then I set about hopping the brew at the following schedule:
- 90 minutes to go: 2oz Simcoe (12.1% AA)
- 80 minutes to go: 1.5oz Chinook (11.4% AA)
- 60 minutes to go: .5oz Chinook (11.4% AA) & 1oz Columbus (15.0% AA)
- 45 minutes to go: 1oz Columbus (15.0% AA)
- 30 minutes to go: 1oz Summit (17.3% AA)
- 15 minutes to go: .5oz
Summit (17.3% AA)
- 0 minutes to go: .5oz Summit (17.3% AA)
Then, as with last time, I struggled to figure out a way to get the brewed concoction to get cold quickly.  Just as with last time, I put it in the sink with ice surrounding the container.  Although, at some point, I gave up and got it in the fermenting bucket.  (We'll see if I can invest in or borrow someone else's cooling coil, etc.)

I then pitched the yeast, this time using Abbey Ale Yeast from White Labs, hoping that it can manage not only a higher ABV, but - more importantly, a nice Belgian flavor, as I had grown to enjoy tripels more than a year ago.  I haven't had many IPA-tripel combinations that I have particularly enjoyed, so I figured, "Let's see if I can make a tripel and a double IPA...."  

Time will tell....

1 comment:

Drew Mote said...

I highly recommend investing in a copper immersion cooling coil. I've been brewing beer for a couple of years now and I seriously doubt I would have continued doing it after the first couple of batches if I hadn't gotten a cooling coil myself. It cools the wort down in minutes as opposed to (many frustrating) hours without one. Best of luck!