12 August 2014

Fifth Batch of Homebrew

Yesterday, I brewed my fifth batch of homebrew beer and, just like my fourth batch, I used California Ale Yeast (White Labs WLP001), although I decreased the amount of extra pale malt extract to only 6 pounds, making this the lightest amount of malt extract I will have used in my brewing. Although I was pleasantly surprised with my previous batch, I still thought it was a bit on the malty side, so I sought to reduce the body of it. Plus, this batch will be ready for the football season, for which I would prefer a more sessionable ale!

My hops schedule is as follows:


90 minutes until the end of boil - 1oz Galaxy (15.0% alpha acids)
75 minutes until the end of boil - 1.5oz Columbus (15.6% alpha acids)
60 minutes until the end of boil - 1oz Galaxy (15.0% alpha acids)
45 minutes until the end of boil - 1oz Mosaic (11.6% alpha acids)
30 minutes until the end of boil - 1oz Mosaic (11.6% alpha acids)
15 minutes until the end of boil - 1oz Chinook (11.4% alpha acids)
at the end of boil - 1oz Chinook (11.4% alpha acids) & .5oz Columbus (15.6% alpha acids)

Hopefully, it ferments nicely!

No comments: