22 June 2014

Homebrew #3 - Eh, It's Better Than the Last One

My third homebrew
Over a month ago, I brewed my third batch of beer and was hoping for better beer than before.  After letting it ferment for two-and-a-half weeks, I then bottled it and waited. So, how was/is it?

Well, the good news is that it is drinkable - always a plus when it comes to beer (and especially homebrew!).  The second good news is that it is more drinkable than my second batch - not only more drinkable, but more sessionable, too.  I think the decrease in malt made it lighter, thank God, so it is not as much of a challenge to drink it - not because of the alcohol content, but because it is so dense of a beer.

Another facet that was also an improvement from the second brew was that the head/foaminess was not as crazy - there was still a plentiful amount of foaminess, but at least not a super crazy amount.

However, while I did decrease the malt content, I did keep the hops content roughly the same, but am largely unable to notice the hops.  I am not sure if this is because my palate has become accustomed to very noticeable hops or if it really is just not so hoppy. Also, I am not particularly pleased with the overall taste, but that could, perhaps, be attributed to the yeast, which made it quite fruity - perhaps too much for my liking.
There was less head on this brew than the last one

This lack of hoppiness, despite how much hops I put in, may be attributed to one of three issues upon which I need to work for the future: keeping a secure fermenting process.  For the last two brews, let's just say the fermentation was not done in such an air-tight manner. So, I will be going back to how I fermented the first batch.

Another issue is the process I utilize to transfer the beer from the fermentation bucket to the bottling bucket....

Anyways, I'm glad it's more drinkable than my previous batch and I am looking forward to trying to improve the process - and, of course, the product :)

No comments: