18 October 2006

Back in Ohio

As mentioned previously, I did, indeed, go back to Gahanna and spent the first weekend of this year's Sukkos holiday in Columbus.
It was, once again, a bit weird and interesting being back in the town in which I grew up - not least of which due to my position in life and perspectives on things being different than many there - certainly coming from being surrounded by New York City and heading back there. (Sorry for the looong sentence.) Anyways, that characterized the few days I spent taking care of errands, etc. while being at home prior to the holiday.
For the holiday, I davened at Beth Jacob and stayed at the Cantor's house, as we are peers and go back several years. One significant thing which occurred was that I had handed to the new rabbi there, Rabbi Weisz, grandson of Rabbi David Stavsky (the rabbi there for several decades (and was the officiating rabbi at my parents' wedding)), a copy of the second volume of Milin Havivin. After having told him that I had written an article on sleep for that volume (upon which one may find my major critiques of that piece), he asked me to speak upon the topic on Saturday evening between Minhah and Ma'ariv, which I obliged. Although I had expected someone to inquire regarding washing one's hands in the morning, instead someone queried me as to why hasidim often will daven and say krias shema' past the designated times as per halakhah, to which I knew not the answer (though I suppose someone will...). Anyways, I do want to thank Rabbi Weisz and the congregation for the opportunity.

1 comment:

Rael Levinsohn said...

I think the sourece for the chassidim davening post zman kriat shema is the fact that according to R' Yosef Caro (in his Beis Yosef) the zman for kriat shema is drabanan not doraita. If I recall correctly he asks the logical question of why there is no symetry between "ovashachabach uvakumecha" ie why night is allowed all night but day is allowed for the first 3 hrs of the day. He therefore says that on a doraita level you can fullfil the mitzvah of shema of the morning the whole day. Hope this helps