04 August 2007

Maimonides and the Incline of the Generations?

A while back on my blog, I remember getting into a discussion in the comments section on a posting about the idea of "the decline of the generations". Anyways, while finishing up cleaning my room in anticipation for my new roommate (a/k/a my fiance), I came across the following:
Maimonides, it thus turns out, could not have affirmed that human nature was in some sort of constant process of entropic decline, and, in fact, did not. He thus refused to affirm that the Rabbis of the Mishnah and Talmud were significantly different in their natures from the rabbis of his day (or, it is fair to add, ours).
Source: Menachem Kellner, Maimonides on the "Decline of the Generations" and the Nature of Rabbinic Authority (Albany: State University of New York Press, 1996), 94. (Original HT to Rabbi Dov Linzer in the Modern Orthodoxy course I took 2005-6 for excerpts from this book.)

No comments: