20 November 2005

My Shabbas In Brooklyn

My shabbas in Brooklyn -
I stayed with my friend from yeshiva in Israel (my first time), Saul Sudin, in Clinton Hill, and two other guys from yeshiva came, as well, which made it more lively. The shul we attended - the only Orthodox shul in the area (ok, so there were some Satmar shtieblach around...) (and a 25-minute walk away from where we were staying) - was Congregation B'nai Abraham, which was a small shul run by Lubavitchers. It was a neat experience, as it was a small shul, with some middle-aged people, along with some Pratt students and Brooklyn Law students. (For more on the shul, see Saul's description about it.)
The only two liturgical differences I saw were the opening of the ark for יגדל (Yigdal) on Friday evening and something else which I can't currently recall.
Although Saturday lunch was held at this stunning brownstone of a family's (it had to have been worth millions, easily), with a lot of people, after a good kiddush, featuring fishes and cholent, Friday night dinner was held at shul, with a special guest speaker. The food was great - the soup was one of the best I've had in a long time - as well as the other items - the fish was also quite good (eventually, I hardly had any room for the chicken and only had a small amount of it. What's worse is that I usually finish whatever's on my plate, but they had given us whichever portions and was so full. And just as I was deciding to stop eating the chicken, the guest speaker said something about people in the Middle East struggling to eat or something like that and felt bad.). The guest speaker was Salma Abdullah, an Israeli Arab, originally from Haifa, currently living in the US since her 20s (I think that age is right). She spoke about trying for peace, but also describing to us the attitudes of Arabs in the Middle East and describing the differences between Israeli Arabs and other Arabs. One interesting thing she had to posit was that Arabs not in Israel or Palestine should stay out of the issue. There were some things she said that I had already knew, but there were, of course, as mentioned above, some things of which I had heard.
After dinner, we stopped by a guy's apartment for some drinks, then we headed back to sleep. Saturday afternoon was spent between lunch and מנחה (afternoon prayer service) mainly just lounging around at where we were for lunch, then taking a look from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade over to the southern tip of Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge.
After shabbas, I made it back to Manhattan.

3 comments:

Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Sounds like fun!
I think i know someone who converted with the help of the rabbi of that shul. It seemed like a nice place.

Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

errrm, lemme speak more clearly :-P .

i know someone who converted with i think the rabbi of that shul. :-)

Anonymous said...

Just catching upwith your blog...you're friends with Saul? Nifty! (J and I are friends with his brother and sister.)