24 September 2021

Next Book Project?

Having published my most recent book prior to turning 40, some people have already began asking: “What will the next book be?” Although I do want to begin working on somewhat of a follow-up to this most recent book, that will most likely not be my next book project (but I will discuss that further).

Someone asked me this week if I would be writing a book on Jewish drinking and that is what the next one may be. While I composed weekly divrei Torah on the Torah portion for 17 Torah portions a couple of years ago, I am thinking about resuming that series this Torah reading-cycle, which I can then turn into a book in about a year from now.

Another possibility, that someone had asked me about this past spring is to compose a popular-oriented book on drinking in Jewish life. This would be focused on holidays and lifecycles primarily. For that work, I would have to start from scratch, but it’s doable.

Returning to what I had mentioned at the outset, having published a book of 30 essays on early rabbinic (Tannaitic) literature called Power at 30, drawing on Yehudah ben Tema’s age-based description of a man’s life, the next one would be something along the lines of Discernment at 40, which would be comprised of 40 essays on later rabbinic literature.

Fortunately, I have some essays I have written for Textual Insights that would work well for such a volume:

One piece that has been on my mind to write since 2006 is on Rabbi Zera’s reportage of Jewesses enstringing upon themselves, so that needs to happen (although I have posted a couple of little posts on this topic at Textual Insights here and here).

There are also few posts from Matters of Interest I am considering including in such a volume, as well (although they would need to be improved):

I clearly have a lot of researching and writing to go before that collection of essays is ready….

In the meantime, we shall see what I work on….

No comments: