21 June 2006

This Week

Throughout this year, I have been pushing off writing articles that I had hoped to write in the hopes that I would be able to focus and concentrate on writing them in the summer. And, indeed, that was the plan up until recently. However, as I have found someone to sublet my spot for July, I needed to clean up my room. Okay, I should have my room cleaned up, anyways. That's another thing which I have been putting off, but mainly due to being tired and not really wanting to deal with the mess. So, it's been accumulating, so this week is the best week of the year in my schedule to tackle this mess. Fortunately, my computer being in the shop this week (I received confirmation that the hard drive was dead) has been much less of a distraction to my cleaning up than otherwise would have been.
As far as writing articles goes, I may still get one or two done, but we'll see. I was thinking about one of the last lines in my favorite book of תנ"ך (Hebrew Bible), Koheles (see Dor-Shav's article for what made this my favorite book of תנ"ך to far and away my favorite book of the Hebrew Bible):

וְיֹתֵר מֵהֵמָּה, בְּנִי הִזָּהֵר: עֲשׂוֹת סְפָרִים הַרְבֵּה אֵין קֵץ, וְלַהַג הַרְבֵּה יְגִעַת בָּשָׂר
And in addition to these, my son, be careful: The making of many books, there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
This antepenultimate line in Koheles (Eccl. 12.12) fits in well with the rest of the existential views espoused in the work: why bother with making so many books if one is going to merely get wearied from such endeavor? Why not just enjoy the here and now? However, while I agree with this thought, there is, I think, a tension with setting out thought or information, etc. This is something about which I have been kind of thinking, but I realize writing articles has not only an intellectual contribution to society, etc., but also adds to one's resume (or CV or whatever), which can help. Anyways, I hopefully will still write.
One other thing: this whole computer not working thing is kind of annoying (in many ways), but now I'm behind in catching up in my Bloglines subscriptions. I can only check e-mail, blog, and check other blogs when using others' computers.

No comments: