03 May 2020

Becoming a Marvel Cinematic Universe Fan

Starting Out with Iron Man and Avengers
When Iron Man came out in the theaters, I saw it with my wife, then we saw its sequel when it came out, followed by seeing Iron Man appear in Avengers. However, I didn’t know who any of the characters were in Avengers, aside from Iron Man and Black Widow, so I didn’t know or care about any of them, so I came away from the movie not really understanding what it was about. And, yes, I subsequently saw Iron Man 3, which was neat to see Tony Stark dealing with his PTSD. However, I knew I had to start catching-up and saw Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers Age of Ultron (we didn't know who all of the characters were in the first Avengers movie, so we didn't care to see the sequel in theatres, but watched it in preparation for Captain America Civil War).

Captain America Civil War was what felicitously triggered my MCU fandom
Captivated by Captain America Civil War
All of this changed with Captain America Civil War. I had agreed to go see it on its opening evening with some other folks and one of the other people in our group who was a Marvel fan came over and convinced me to watch the first Captain America movie, which was enjoyable and provided a backstory for Captain America. When I saw Captain America Civil War, I was utterly blown away at the experience. Not only was the action compelling, but the dialogue was spectacularly fantastic. With such an incredibly entertaining and well put-together cinematic experience, I was deeply intrigued at the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and wanted to know more about all of these characters in the movie and their backstories/what their motivations were.
Having seen Avengers, I liked it, but didn't know the characters' backstories

Catching-up
Fortunately, a few weeks later, I happened to be on a flight to Israel from LA, as I was staffing a Birthright Israel trip, and our Delta flight had a lot of Marvel movies available for watching - lucky me! So, I watched what I could and, on the return flight, not only continued to catch up on my MCU-watching, but even re-watched a couple of movies, such as Avengers and Avengers Age of Ultron in order to gain a better sense of where everyone fit in in that universe. In that short period of time, spurred on by the incredible Civil War and catching up on most of the MCU was fantastic. After returning, I watched whatever other MCU movies I had not yet seen to catch up.

Caught-up
From there on out, I watched every MCU movie and even found out about the MCU prelude comics, which were helpful in understanding the MCU. In addition to the clever dialogue in the movies (especially those directed by the Russo brothers), what I have found to be so fascinating about this series of movies is that they have well-developed characters, a well-developed universe, but here’s the thing that really gets me: they weave them in together so well. The universe is well-constructed, with plots that intertwine so intricately and cleverly that provides a curious amount of interest, especially since it’s clear a lot of thought has gone into it.

Continuing to Enjoy
Having enjoyed the MCU, if you've seen a movie here or there, you may find a lot of enjoyment in gaining a broader perspective of the MCU through watching the other movies. If you do, I recommend watching them in their release order, and I hope you greatly enjoy the MCU!


No comments: