29 May 2012

I Am a Rabbi, Not a Political Scientist

I went to rabbinical school for numerous reasons, but none of them were to become a political scientist. Nor, for that matter, was it to become expert in geopolitics. I will say that my rabbinical school succeeded in teaching me important elements about Judaism and more, omitting political science. If I really wanted to, I could take university courses in becoming well-versed in politics, political science, and geopolitics, perhaps moving on to earn degrees in such topics. And, inasmuch as I do enjoy being aware of what's going on in the world, not to mention being able to speak knowledgeably on such topics, I have no interest in receiving training or earning degrees in political science.
Considering the aforementioned, it is, to one degree or another, generally beyond my expertise as a rabbi to comment on or voice my opinion on geopolitical matters.
That doesn't mean, however, as a generally educated person, that I can't speak on such topics without at least a modicum of knowledge....

No comments: